Re: Cancelling, Scheduling Special Meetings
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 23:20:13 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 12/17/00 4:46:13 PM, sharonvillines [at] prodigy.net writes:

<< I have difficulty with presenters assigning time to agenda items. The
question is not how much time the presenter needs but how much time the
group needs for discussion. How can the presenter know that? If the
presenter knows that, the discussion is probably irrelevant. >>

I agree that a presenter may not know exactly how long a discussion will
take, but a presenter (either an experienced individual or committee) should
be able to guesttimate how much time it will take to achieve whatever goal
they have in mind.  That said, some goals are easer to predict time for than
others.  The more serious the issue and the closer to consensus you need to
get, the more difficult it becomes to predict, especially with larger groups.
 Be generous with more serious issues, then add more time.

When you have an issue that absolutely must be decided on, then you may need
a special meeting to give it the time it needs.  And, as difficult as it may
seem, you may need to go past the scheduled end of the meeting to finish it
up.  This isn't easy, and takes a special commitment from the attendants to
stay fresh and creative and avoid getting irritated just because you're
staying "late".  In these circumstances, keep your eyes on the goal and not
on the clock.

<<...maintaining a good "things needing to be discussed" list so there are
always
topics that need discussion...>>

Amen to that.  And I would add that prioritizing the list and making sure
that some of the items get onto the agenda on a regular basis will take a lot
of anxiety out of running things AND you'll find that things don't fall by
the wayside as often.  Now if I could just do this in my personal life!

-Roger
Pathways
Northampton, MA