Re: Design-Build & Takoma Village
From: Sharon Villines (sharonvillinesprodigy.net)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 07:48:56 -0700 (MST)
> And my last piece of unsolicited advice  is that when choosing a developer
> or other professional make sure he/she has MULTI FAMILY building experience.
> Single family doesn't cut it.  The rules for multi family are VASTLY
> different.

Now piggybacking on Ann's notes (Thanks, Ann!) -- Our developer said
something at a meeting the other night that describes the unique challenges
of cohousing for even the most experienced developers (and construction
managers). Most developers do either single unit or multi-unit buildings,
not both because the laws and codes and processes, as well as the interests
of the buyers, are so different.

Cohousing is a multi-home project of single homes. The developer has to deal
with both the legal and physical complexity of multi-home design and
construction AND the single home buyer's personal preferences and
involvement.

His comment was "I've never built 43 single family homes at the same time."

In a nutshell, that is the task in cohousing.

Sharon Villines
In Washington, DC where all roads lead to Casablanca
Takoma Village Cohousing
http://www.takomavillage.org
http://www.cohousing.org