Work participation
From: Becky Schaller (bschallertheriver.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 22:40:14 -0700 (MST)

--MS_Mac_OE_3060801185_11263039_MIME_Part

Our community is presently researching how other cohousing communities have
organized around the various community jobs which need to be done.   I've
looked in the archives and have gotten some very helpful information, but
would like to get an update from more communties.  So far my impressionis
that communities handle this in many different ways.

To what extent do you require people to put in a minimum number of hours and
to what extent do you leave the amount of work they do up to each
individual.    If you have a minimum number of hours, what is that number?

How do you handle resentments from people who are clearly doing way over
their fair share or simply believe they are.

How do you monitor or keep track of whether people are doing their jobs or
not?  What happens if someone isn't doing their job?  How do you show
appreciations for people who are?    Lately I've been reading that some
groups are talking about charging people who don't do a certain amount of
work.  Has that been happening long enough to report how it's working.

I understand some groups organize by work teams.  I think other groups have
individual assignments.   Are there other ways of organizing?

I also understand that some groups have no minimum work hours required.    I
think Rob said that in Sharingwood they don't have minimum work hours
required.  Are there other communities without work requirements?   How is
that working out?

Becky Schaller
Sonora Cohousing
Tucson, Arizona
We're all sold out and 32 out of 36 household are moved in.

--MS_Mac_OE_3060801185_11263039_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Work participation</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>
Our community is presently researching how other cohousing communities have=
 organized around the various community jobs which need to be done. &nbsp;&n=
bsp;I've looked in the archives and have gotten some very helpful informatio=
n, but would like to get an update from more communties. &nbsp;So far my imp=
ressionis that communities handle this in many different ways.<BR>
<BR>
To what extent do you require people to put in a minimum number of hours an=
d to what extent do you leave the amount of work they do up to each individu=
al. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If you have a minimum number of hours, what is that nu=
mber?<BR>
<BR>
How do you handle resentments from people who are clearly doing way over th=
eir fair share or simply believe they are.<BR>
<BR>
How do you monitor or keep track of whether people are doing their jobs or =
not? &nbsp;What happens if someone isn't doing their job? &nbsp;How do you s=
how appreciations for people who are? &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Lately I've been rea=
ding that some groups are talking about charging people who don't do a certa=
in amount of work. &nbsp;Has that been happening long enough to report how i=
t's working.<BR>
<BR>
I understand some groups organize by work teams. &nbsp;I think other groups=
 have individual assignments. &nbsp;&nbsp;Are there other ways of organizing=
?<BR>
<BR>
I also understand that some groups have no minimum work hours required. &nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I think Rob said that in Sharingwood they don't have minimum =
work hours required. &nbsp;Are there other communities without work requirem=
ents? &nbsp;&nbsp;How is that working out? &nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Becky Schaller<BR>
Sonora Cohousing<BR>
Tucson, Arizona<BR>
We're all sold out and 32 out of 36 household are moved in.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3060801185_11263039_MIME_Part--