RE: Holiday Celebrations, or lack of
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 22:59:07 -0700 (MST)
In the first few years communities often sort out their traditions. These
are things which are recurring over the years that take on a special
meaning. You will find that some things are going to be carried forward
because people want them enough to make it happen, while other events come
and go with any particular persons energy.

After about 5-6 years it becomes pretty clear which events have become
traditions and the community history you share accumulates here as memories.
There are many events at Sharingwood which come and go over the years and a
few which we do almost every year. One of my personal favorite traditions is
the white elephant gift exchange adult party which we have done 6 of 7
years. Winter Solstice has been marked every year that I can recall living
here as has May day.

So if a particular event dies out, it's a naturally occurring process.
Hopefully there are some events which become traditions that you honor. Also
as far  as diminishing attendance goes, I have personally adopted some
wisdom from a process called open space which has a basic tenet: Who ever
comes are the right people to be there.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood Community
Community Works! Group Process Workshops for Social Change groups
www.ic.org/nica/cw1.htm