Re: Holiday Celebrations, or lack of
From: MartyR707 (MartyR707aol.com)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 00:49:17 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 12/27/00 8:06:56 PM, Liz Stevenson writes:

>I'd fall over in
>a dead faint if I saw a man start to clean up after a potluck. Make it
>a recognized chore, and at least the women who do it don't have to do other
>chores on top of it.

well, that's interesting.  I'd have to say that here, more clean-up is done
by men - not all certainly, but I'd never say they don't pitch in
wholeheartedly.  It's partly cuz some of them would rather do that than cook,
but also cuz they are great guys when it comes to doing what needs to be done.

The party planning - true - is done mostly by women, and I like the idea of
institutionalizing it as a chore that gets equal recognition with other
chores.  I am one that has stepped back from doing it due to lack of
appreciation.  But it has also been good to see how the vacuum gets filled
when you step back.  Our Christmas party this year was a very organic
process.  One person did post some great sign-up sheets, but then without a
committee or coordinator, people signed up and things got done and it was a
GREAT party.  A really great party.

Marty at Two Acre Wood