Re: Holiday Celebrations, or lack of
From: lilbert (lilbertearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 09:28:53 -0700 (MST)
Sometimes all it takes is a sign-up sheet to make it happen. We do that
here, too.

The men here do alot of cleanup, after regular common house meals. But if it
is just a potluck, they never do. My guess is it's the difference between
recognized and unrecognized work.

To illustrate, I'll go off on a tangent here. My sister's husband always
helps clean up when his parents are visiting, but not when it is just the
family. He doesn't even notice he's doing it. I think this is a very real
male pattern of work, needing so much recognition. If many cohousers have
overcome this, more power to them. But my hunch is that alot of work gets
done very quietly by women that is not noticed by men.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing