Gender differences and filters to joining
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:09:23 -0700 (MST)
Notice that I changed the heading of this thread to more closely match its
content? When an email thread changes content, it is very helpful to future
searchers to have  a good subject heading.

Gender differences play themselves out in most communities in often
unnoticed and even undiscussed  patterns of behavior. For example, at
Sharingwood all the "fix it" sorts of things that get done, are done by men.
Not a single  woman ever volunteers to do mechanical tinkering, they always
call on a male to do this. Another pattern is the children's team which
organizes events for the large number of children. You guessed it, it is
dominated by woman's energy.

These behaviors are patterns which reflect a deep held familial training and
societal conditioning. People who step outside these "roles" are often seen
as maverick oddballs. In some circles, they are socially shunned. For
example, I overheard some folks at the school my kids attend part time
trashing  a man (who was not present) who was into sewing. Strangely enough,
the people doing the trashing were all women! In the minds of these women,
this man  was doing woman's work which made him odd.

Genders differences are good tools for social learning. It is a fun and
stretching exercise to spend a  small amount of time looking at these things
in a context of a community sharing circle. It is not necessarily bad to
have gender roles, in fact, acknowledging them and appreciating them is in
my experience a good thing. We have regular woman's circles here that
provide support and encouragement for woman and their roles in the community
and elsewhere. But we have no men's circle.

These unconscious gender behaviors form one of dozens  of invisible
agreements that govern your lives as a community. You don't usually
acknowledge them, you just take them for granted. For example, there is not
a single parent in the group of 17 families here that spanks their children.
This is not a verbalized agreement, nor I think is something that  is even
thought about or recognized. But, should a person who spanks their kids move
into our neighborhood, there would be an uproar and large amount of social
pressure on the spankers to stop. It is not OK to spank children at
Sharingwood, even though there is no group agreement and it has never even
been discussed.

These  things of course form filters for those that will join your community
later. So a strong feministic woman would probably not be comfortable
looking at some of how our gender roles play here at Sharingwood. And this
may tip such people away from considering  our community.

Rob Sandelin
Community Works!