Re: Gender differences and filters to joining
From: lilbert (lilbertearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 13:05:26 -0700 (MST)
Rob wrote:

----------
> These  things of course form filters for those that will join your community
> later. So a strong feministic woman would probably not be comfortable
> looking at some of how our gender roles play here at Sharingwood. And this
> may tip such people away from considering  our community.
>
> Rob Sandelin

I have to disagree with you about "a strong feminist" Rob. I consider myself
an ardent feminist(Strong seems very loaded, Rob. Are you picturing a
masculine looking lesbian with big muscles? Would that bother you?), and I
believe there are good reasons why men and women gravitate toward gender
role stereotypes. Lots of genetics and social conditioning, to what degree
we'll always be able to argue. But the key to equality is valuing everyone's
contribution, regardless of gender roles. Only when "women's work" is valued
as highly as men's, will we see what the true breakdown along gender lines
should be, because jobs will attract those most suited to them regardless of
sex.

In a cohousing setting, this can simply mean having a list of chores for
people to choose from, as we do. People get credit for their work in equal
measure. That's all we "strong feminists" want. You don't have to sew to
prove your manhood or anything! ;)
--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing