Re: male/female work issues
From: lilbert (lilbertearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:16:53 -0700 (MST)
Thanks, Racheli, for your insightful comments.

It's interesting how people have taken that phrase and responded to it as if
it's the only thing I wrote. The men who have written *have* been defensive,
and I'll repeat what I wrote to one of them privately before: none of the
women have written to say that I'm out of line. That says to me that we need
to be aware of gender role stereotyping (yes, it can happen to all you
terribly enlightened males of cohousing!) and try to make all work valued.

I maintain that by and large, men are much more likely to do work that is
visible and/or well recognized. Study after study has concluded that men do
less domestic work, even if you include changing light bulbs and taking out
the trash!

I find the male protestations here to be a little disingenuous, and hope
that everyone can take a step back and try to see himself more clearly. If
what I'm saying is *really* bothering you, it's likely it has hit a little
too close to home. Remember, I was talking about MY community, not
necessarily yours. When the honeymoon is over in a few years, will all of
those of you who say men are doing their fair share still be doing it? When
nobody is watching?

And yes, comments about "feeling sorry for my community" do hurt. I have
been living here for over seven years, and have been contributing to this
list for five or so. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt and more
respect.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing