Re: Gender roles
From: WOLF1GDSFM (WOLF1GDSFMaol.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 08:41:22 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 00-12-30 00:42:08 EST, MartyR707 [at] aol.com writes:

<<I was the first to write and say that men regulary and willingly
 do clean-up here at Two Acre Wood. >>

Thanks, Marty (aka Martha)!

The only time there is a problem is when a woman wants to do a traditionally
"male" job and is discouraged from it for gender reasons (or vice versa).
This happened to me in a christian intentional community (which I left).
However, I have not found this to be the case here at Sunward Cohousing.  It
seems that not too many women want to do the "male" jobs, but if they want
to, they can.  Now I am about to see what happens when I try to get more
involved in building maintenance.  No one has prevented me from taking care
of the leak in the basement or repairing the faucet in the laundry room!  Of
course, no one knew I did it.  I suspect that they are just happy that it is
done.

Another phenomenon I have seen is that of people expecting discrimination of
a certain sort and then seeing any negative input as resulting from that
discrimination.  Because I have not had the training that the boys got years
ago, I may not know as much about repairs as some men.  My work may be
rejected bacause it is not up to standard.  I don't think that I can blame
cohousing for this--the direction for what I learned came from the school
system and my parents.  In fact, cohousing is the first place outside of work
that I have been able to put a toe out into the so-called "male" work and not
be immediately discouraged.  In fact, when I helped build the storage rooms,
the men showed me how to use the tools, and then let me work on my own.

Jan
Sunward
Ann Arbor, MI