Re: the dark days
From: MartyR707 (MartyR707aol.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 22:50:45 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 12/30/00 8:16:08 PM, Tonka444 [at] aol.com writes:

>Also, any inspiring stories of the dark times right before site acquisition
>might help our group and others in this difficult stage.

Oh, I can do that!  We had a couple years at least of dark days.  We went
through three sites before finding one that worked.  I was amazed at the
tenacity of all of us sticking it out through all that (and some didn't), but
I knew that was what was going to make us a good community.  I was on the
land search committee and it looked absolutely impossible to find a suitable
site in this very popular county that was fairly well built in.  The trick
was being able to shift our parameters.  We had been looking for a 5 acre
site to build about 25 units and had overlooked a two acre site in
Sebastopol - the town we most wanted to live in.

Someone found it and asked us all to look.  I was one that was sure that was
too small, but I looked and instantly fell in love with the lovely sloping
parcel with an oak woodland at the top and walking distance to town, the
park, the pool, etc.

So we scaled down and agreed to do 14 units - the max that the zoning would
allow ( and that part was not easy either).  It was still a few more anxious
rollercoastery years after that before we moved in.  (Lots of long stories)
But we're here - almost a year and a half now and planning our New Year's Eve
party in the common house - amazing!

so, the message is - Hang in there!  It can be done and just takes a
committed tenacious community-loving group of people - if you have the right
people, you'll find a way.  But be patient.....

Marty Roberts
Two Acre Wood, Sebastopol, CA