Re: Common House Design Process (long)
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:53:41 -0700 (MST)
Common House Planning Overview

At RoseWind Cohousing in Port Townsend WA we went about CH design and
building in about the longest way possible, but that worked out because
it was years before we had the money to really build it anyway (lot
development model, 24 lots, self financed, no developer). Some of what we
learned may be relevant.

We are now close to occupancy on a 2800 sq ft CH with which we are well
pleased. Our total expenses are under $300,000. We used a lot of
volunteer work.

I say "do this and that": of course there is always the option of doing
it yourself or hiring out the responsibility, but these are all tasks
which need to be addressed in planning a CH.

Many groups have praised the programming workshops offered by the
Cohousing Company. With so many CHs already designed and built, if money
is tight you may be able to learn what you need, indirectly. You'll need
to decide how much you want to do with and without professionals. There
are pros and cons either way.

FIRST OF ALL, FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD. (Alternately, you can do
the usual routine of What All Do We Want, design it all, then slash
radically, but it's easier if you start with a financial reality check,
and prioritize within that.)

Figure a realistic cost per square foot for construction, consulting
local builders. Note what that figure does and does not include.

Then look at non-negotiable expenses. Consult your local building
department regarding fees for building permits (including a few rounds of
revisions, almost inevitably), inspections, impact fees, hookup fees for
utilities. Note whether there are required infrastructure costs which
will come in with the CH - do you need additional roads, paving, parking,
fire hydrants, sewer cleanouts, fuel lines or tanks, utility trenching,
fire engine turnarounds?
How much do you want to allot for landscaping, plants, paving, ramps,
outdoor furnishings, outdoor design work, play equipment? This can easily
cost many thousands of dollars, even with volunteer help.

Address professional costs. How much do you want to budget for architect,
landscape architect, legal or accounting advice, specific consulting like
for acoustics or lighting?

Allot a generous contingency percentage. Delays which may be beyond your
control can involve inflation in the cost of materials and labor. There
will always be things that you didn't think of that will cost money.

Consult with your local building department, too, to determine how they
will classify the building. If, as is often the case, you are considered
a public assembly building, you will have additional expenses to build to
"commercial" standards, such as stronger floors, and required ADA
handicap accessibility -- special bathroom fixtures, access ramps, wider
doors-- and safety features like signage, panic hardware on doors,  fire
extinguishers, and emergency lighting.

If you want handicapped-accessible second floor space, then you are
looking at at least another $20,000 if you use a wheelchair-lift sort of
elevator.

Also beyond the usual "per square foot" construction estimates:
furnishings and appliances, and ecological upgrades. For the latter,
include a line-item amount in your budget, or you'll be likely to end up
with few if any of the eco-features you ideally wanted.

LOOK AT THE MONEY YOU HAVE AVAILABLE. (If you are sitting on part of the
eventual construction budget, make sure you are getting good interest on
it.) Take the set costs, professional costs, landscape items, all that
other stuff above, and a contingency/inflation factor into consideration,
and with what's left figure out the square footage you can afford.
Conservatively. You want some quality, not just empty space.

PROGRAMMING. Consider all the usual functions other groups have
incorporated into their CHs.
Dining, recreation, kids, kitchen, pantry, bathrooms, bulletin boards,
entry hall; options like laundry, lounge, art, office, guest space,
shower, or other items your particular group might want.
Look at whether you want to build in phases (which costs more total,
typically), with useful spaces within a phase one, and more when the rest
of the money comes. Or you may choose to do an in-fill sort of phasing,
build the whole shell, and fill in as the money comes for furnishings,
appliances, etc.
Look at the site plan, topography, big-truck access, light and weather
issues, to choose the orientation of the building and the placement of
functions and spaces in connection with the outdoors.
Evaluate your priorities for up-front cost savings vs long-term savings
on maintenance and energy use.
Quality vs quantity.
Future expandability or flexibility in changing the uses of various
spaces.

Use discussion circles, emailings, surveys, lots of approaches. When we
came to matters on which there was a considerable range of opinion, and
all had been heard, it was sometimes useful to do the thing where people
physically arrange themselves in a line, on a scale between the two
extreme points of view. This made it clear to people if they were way out
of line with what most others preferred, and sometimes that allowed them
to be more gracious about letting go of their need.

Once you get into actual design proposals, it helps to use models. With a
little practice, one can get quite quick at making and rearranging
physical models made with foam-core posterboard, architects' scale, razor
blade, and held together with straight pins. It is also useful to find
someone(s) in the group who can use or learn a software program like 3-D
Home Architect: it is amazing how these things can turn a floor plan into
3-D views from all directions, with furnishings etc. The programs cost
$50 or less and are very helpful.

Looking at other group's floor plans can be useful, but often individual
sites have unique requirements. Ours is an L shape, made of 3 squares
about 30x30 each, on one floor.
Entry is at the elbow, giving the foyer access to dining/lounge and
kitchen in one direction, and lavatories and rec room, in another
direction. Kid room in between. Our kitchen is a lot like Pioneer
Valley's.

Search the coho-L archives. Look at individual groups' websites linked to
the cohousing.org website: some have common house photos. Look at back
issues of Cohousing Quarterly.

Visiting real CHs is a big help. Visit as many as you can, as many of you
as can. Carry a tape measure and notebook everywhere you go! Notice also
churches, community centers, parish and grange halls, ski lodges. Notice
ADA bathrooms, exit doors, lighting, flooring, seating.

GET HELP, after you've done what you can yourselves. If you can afford an
architect, there are many advantages to working with one who already
knows cohousing. We did some work with architect and cohousing resident
MARY KRAUS, of Pioneer Valley Cohousing in Amherst Massachusetts and that
was a very positive experience. You couldn't do better. With any
professionals, establish very clear lines of communication with
designated liaison people. They cannot, will not, should not, be getting
input from all over the place at random.

As for the building process, how much you do with contractors, and how
much you do yourselves is up to you. Keep in mind the legal and financial
side of things. If you use a general contractor, much is done for you.
Look at local Labor and Industry regulations, and check also your
insurance coverage, to deal with volunteer labor, "casual labor",
liability not only for injury but theft of materials or tools. But even
if you have a general contractor, and hire most all work out, you will
still need an active committee or task force to coordinate, supervise,
check, and be liaison with the whole group when design and budget
decisions need to be made, and when major jobs are underway. Never leave
bulldozer operators on their own.

Last but not least, size your expectations so you are not maxxing your
budget. It is very satisfying to be able to make some "quality" choices,
and to be able to cope with unforeseen expenses without having to cheapen
other items. I have NEVER heard of anyone who complained that they had
over-budgeted!

And -- take it from us -- even if you do it less than perfectly, it is
wonderful to see it finally taking shape!

Lynn Nadeau
(Some non-essentials in our CH which please us: built-in vacuum system,
parquet floor and ceiling decorations, Marmoleum, tile, and Smart Wood
floors, a peek-through window from the kitchen to the entry foyer, sound
system wiring, recycled wood flooring in one room, glass-front propane
fireplace, hand painted mural over the entry, stone window sills,
skylights, colored glass bottles inset in the walls in places like
stained glass bits, big log posts on the front porch, a display niche in
the entry for art or flowers. )