management companies
From: Kay Argyle (argylemines.utah.edu)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:15:22 -0700 (MST)
Have any cohousing communities had experience with using a property
management company?  Our management committee is feeling in over its head
and wants to hire one to deal with finances, insurance, taxes, repairs,
capital improvement funds, and various other issues.  We're legally set up
as condominiums.

A resident who owns condo elsewhere, which has been through three different
management companies in the decade she's owned it, is concerned about this
proposal -- for one thing, because of the degree of control a management
company exercises.  Her rental condo has a balcony which is almost unusable
because of the restrictions -- no window boxes, no bikes, no barbecues, no
smoking, no this no that no nothing, all for insurance reasons.  She asked
me to solicit experience and/or advice from other communities.

Kay
Wasatch Commons