Re: Cohousing and small businesses (cont)
From: Laura Fitch (lfitchkrausfitch.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:37:29 -0700 (MST)
At Pioneer Valley Cohousing in Amherst MA, there is an office building
that is owned by 6 community members:  A builder, a lawyer, a
development consultant, a computer techi, and two architects (myself
being one).

So, in answer to your question, the community supports these 5
businesses by allowing us to build this building on community property.
In return, we offer almost unlimited use of the conference room, and
access to copier, fax machine, and e-mail station.

It is a win win situation!  We have lots of folks coming by to use the
copier, so we can get some community interaction and business done as
part of our work day, and we are always here for the community to use
our facilities.  And by support business "on campus" we are bringing
life into what might otherwise be a cohousing version of the typical
american "bedroom community".

Look for an article about our office building in the next cohousing
journal.

Laura Fitch
Pioneer Valley Cohousing, Amherst, MA