Re: Urban and rural working together
From: Robyn Williams (zeniinet.net.au)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:34:08 -0700 (MST)
Oh, we do that (as usual, in a small way, mostly holidays).  Through broader
environmental connections, ex-patriot Pinakarrians and the non-profit
umbrella for co-ops, some of us here know people in a co-op called Mia-Mia
in Denmark (no not that one!  Denmark is a picturesque SW coastal, country
town which got hippy-fied a while back).  Consequently there has been
holiday house-swapping for quite some time.  Last year one Mia-Mia family
sub-let their house to sub-let at Pinakarri for 3 months while our tenant
was away.  Subsequently, they've decided to take up the lease on a Pinakarri
house that became available.  It's an informal and unfolding arrangement.

We have a WA Co-ops e-list which is a good way of letting each other know
about opportunities.  At the moment there are only 11 (rental based) co-ops
in the state.  BTW, although Pinakarri is only one of two which has a
common-house and the only one to embrace the cohousing lifestyle, several
co-ops are planning to build commonhouses after seeing the benefits here.
In my co-op development role, I will be lobbying for the inclusion in the
funding of an office/meeting room as a minimum communal requirement.

Warmest regards
Robyn Williams
Pinakarri Community
Fremantle, Western Australia