Sharing activities: Was size and management companies
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:10:16 -0700 (MST)
Sharing activities is an important  aspect of being a community. However,
work is not the only activity that can be shared. One of the most difficult
aspects of cohousing for some people is to find time to be a part of the
community. Their work and family lives eat up 82.6% of their waking time.
Given everything else there is, that does not leave much left for community.

 If you were to make a scale from one to ten about activities that build
connections and community,( and this is a great general meeting exercise)
doing work, especially work that does not involve people being together to
accomplish, is low on the scale and easily transferable to an outside
management company. Meals are in my estimation high on the community scale,
as are parties, sharing circles, sewing bees, game nights, and dancing.

I think it is to a communities advantage, if time is a scarce resource for
many members, to prioritize the things  people engage their time in so as to
maximize the community connection. Then hire your management company to
accomplish the rest.

And I would caution you: Don't let lawyers and their liability issues run
your community, they generally give bad  advice related to community
building.

Rob Sandelin
Long time resident of Sharingwood Community and self employed with
Community Works! Group process workshops for social change  organizations
www.ic.org/nica/cw1.htm