Re: Sharing activities
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddesshome.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:48:36 -0700 (MST)
This is more in answer to Rob's post than this one, but I'm sort of
expanding upon Racheli's theme.

I'm not trusting the idea that we should only play together and not work,
unless we deem it "fun". Work has its own rewards that fun does not, and I
believe going through experiences together makes work even more valuable.
Accomplishing a task that is at least marginally unpleasant builds
character, and I'm not afraid to say it! It's easy to have fun together, but
I'm not sure you can build community without at least some adversity. Our
parents didn't give us chores because we couldn't afford a maid(well, mine
couldn't, but you get my meaning). They gave them to us to instill a sense
of responsibility to our family and to learn the reward of a job well done.

I think doing as much of the work as possible ourselves is important.
Otherwise, it's just a very friendly condo with no depth of commitment.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing