Re: When world(view)s collide
From: Michael D (ohanamdearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 01:30:01 -0700 (MST)
> I'm wondering if anyone out there has had experience reconciling radically
> different world views into a consensus.

Yes, I have quite a bit of it.  Part of my work is as a conflict management
facilitator.

I think that if you've tried twice to reach consensus without getting much
closer to it, then you would get a lot of value from bringing in a
professional facilitator.

Often when people are digging in their heels, it's because (1) there are
unspoken agendas contaminating the process, (2) the 2 sides aren't
understanding each other, (3) people are more committed to being right than
to solving the problem, and/or (4) ineffective communication skills are
being used.  If any of these is true, the implications extend beyond the
conflict at hand.

Michael