RE: When world(view)s collide/why do we fear?
From: Racheli&John (jnpalmeattglobal.net)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:30:03 -0700 (MST)
** Reply to note from "Rob Sandelin" <floriferous [at] msn.com> Thu, 22 Mar
2001 21:32:10 -0800
>From Racheli

Why do we fear? and: what degree of fearfulness is "reasonable'?

Rob wrote (in part):
>  The present is a  check to see if what happened
> in the past is really likely to happen again now.

IMO this is incredibly tricky!  Assume a child got kidnapped
from a park 1,000 miles away within the last year.  Is this likely
to happen in the park next to your house?  - Probably not.
Is there a good reason to be anxious? - How does one measure??
I suspect that how one feels about it  goes deep down to how
we are "wired"  and a lot of it is subconcious.  It also inter-relates in
complex ways to our views and feelings on so many issues,
and on what habits we have, which might encourage certain
fears.  People who watch TV news (or read the parts of a
newspaper which relate the details of every "newsworthy"
murder in the US ) are more likely,  to be fearful of
such things occurring in their own neighborhood.
This applies to other areas as well.  I, for example, read a fair
amount about the issue of toxins in the home (as well as
elsewhere).  So I'm a lot more fearful about practically
anything I bring into my home than most of my neighbors.
To many, this seems like paranoia.  It took me a long time to
convince some people that one truly needs to worry about VOC's,
molds, etc.
Some, though, still use any paint which appeals to them visually
with abandon, and find my anxieties to be baseless, or at least
highly exxagerated.

My point is that while sharing our perspectives on such
issues with our community members is important, it's doubtful
that there is any kind of "objective", or logical way to
move people from where they are (especially not in a hurry!)
This is the case both because there is no algorithm which
determines how a certain likelihood should be translated
into behavior, and also because what we choose to do is
determined by many factors other than the purely logical/
factual ones.