Re: Guest Room Usage and Policies in Cohousing
From: Judy Baxter (BAXTERepi.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 13:00:01 -0700 (MST)
re: Guest rooms
from: Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community,(MoCoCo) Twin Cities Area,
        Mpls.,MN

We have two, a medium (double bed) and a small (single bed,).
They came with the Big Building we rehabbed, and couldn't economically be
included in the apartment style residences we created.

1) Are they overbooked on major holidays?
        Rarely
2) How do you decide who gets to use the guest rooms?
        First come, first serve, with negotiation if there is a conflict,
looking at other options.

3) How are they cleaned/maintained?
        Hosts are expected to leave them ready for use.
        One member oversees them, creates nice touches as feasible.
4) What are your guest policies?
        2 week stay max,
        host required to be in residence at the time
        other details about using common spaces appropriately, including
checking with host about having guests, parties, etc  (I can't remember
exactly)

5) Would you have built more/fewer guest rooms if you had it to do over?
        Hard to judge.  Homes are small enough that guest rooms are a big plus
        We didn't have to evaluate costs.
6) Has having guests had a positive or a negative impact on your community?
Why?
        Positive - we enjoy meeting different people, and they sometimes
contribute by doing work or donating something (we have guidelines).
        Our policies grew out of a few negative experiences - it helps a lot to
be clear (what a surprise!!)

Judy