RE: titles
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 23:25:06 -0700 (MST)
There is a paper on legal definitions on the Intentional Communities
Resources pages at http://www.ic.org/nica/resource.htm

You might other information there that is useful.

Land trusts are recorded usually on the title of the property and they are
therefore binding. The advantage is that a land trust may last much longer
than the founding members do, thus future generations who try to develop
land, the permit agency runs into restrictions on the title and then you
have to remove the restrictions, thus research the founding bylaw documents
etc. If you set your founding bylaws that it takes 100% of the community to
vote in agreed to develop the land, then hopefully your land preservations
will be upheld.

There are references on the ICRP about land trusts that go into much depth
on the subject and include sample legal forms, etc.

Good luck on your endeavor, after you check out the ICRP and still have
questions feel free to ask NICA. There are several long time communitarians
on our board with lots of experience. You can reach us at NICA [at] ic.org

Rob Sandelin
NICA board member and webmaster for the ICRP