RE: seeking information about how cohousing communities organize tasks to be done
From: Diane or Douglas (ddhleearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:01:01 -0700 (MST)
This is a lot to respond to all at once. I will give some answers for some
of the points.

We are a community of 13 households with 25 adults, 12 children age 2 to 9
and 1 teenager age 17. We have community meals 6-days a week. Dinner on
Mon-Thur and Breakfast on Sat. We plan our meal preparation, planning and
purchasing as follows:

A chart is posted in the Common house for the next four weeks, including
the current week. There is a column for each meal day, i.e. Mon-Thur and
Sat. There is a row for soup or first course, entre, salad, starch,
Beverage and specialty item. There is also a row for Lead cook, 2nd cook,
1st cleanup/setup, 2nd cleanup and childcare. It is each adults
responsibility to sign up for two work slots in a 2-week period. A work
slot is any of the above mentioned tasks and specialty item prep. It is the
duty of the lead cook to come up with the menu, fill in the chosen menu
items in the various categories I mentioned above and do so at least 1 week
prior to the  actual day of the meal. It is the duty of the two food buyers
to see that all ingredients are on hand for each day's meal. They buy in
bulk and much of it wholesale. Same day or last minute purchasing is
discouraged as is buying "on sale" items at local stores.
The day of the meal both cooks arrive and work until done. The 1st cleanup
arrives and does setup of the dinning room and also empties the dishwashers
if needed. They also help with cleanup after the meal. The 2nd cleanup
works after the meal. All members are expected to bus their own plates,
flatware and cups.  If any of the above workers needs childcare to be able
to do their chosen job task they place an X  next to their name in the work
slot they chose. Then someone else can write their own name in the
childcare slot and does that on the appointed day.
The specialty job occurs a maximum of twice per week and is up to that
person to decide but is usually something like home made bread or a
dessert. A person cannot chose a specialty job more than once per 2-week
period.
We have a job description written out for each of the above jobs but their
too detailed to include here.
Our members consist of 4 vegetarians, 5 or 6 people who cannot each dairy
products and a few other dietary restrictions. The lead cooks typically
offer meat and vegetarian versions of the entre as well as dairy and
non-dairy versions when applicable. All items are labeled on the serving
line so people know which is which. If a member is going to be absent for a
given meal they write their name on a sheet with the date and the lead cook
sees to it that a meal is saved in a container in the refrigerator for
them.

Some form of this system has been in place for serveral years though this
exact form I described above is new and has been going for about 6 weeks.

For other work projects - We have a committee that is responsible for
planning and organizing major categories of things. We have a
Garden/Landscape committe, a Facilities committee, a Food Committee, Spirit
Nuturers. Each committee plans work and the members of each tend to do the
majority of the work though they can and do solicit help from others in the
community as needed.
When we were in the construction phase very specific work was needed each
week and it was layed out in some detail and each person volunteered in the
area they felt most drawn to. Since we are now past construction the
formality of that has eased considerably.

This is all the time I have for this right now. Maybe I will say more later
as time permits.

Doug Larson
Songaia Cohousing
Bothell, Washington

On Thursday, March 29, 2001 7:40 AM, S. Kashdan [SMTP:skashdan [at] scn.org]
wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| The questions in this message are addressed to all current and former
| cohousing community participants.
|
| My name is Sylvie Kashdan.  I am a member of the Jackson Place Cohousing
| community, in Seattle, Washington.
|
| The Jackson Place cohousing homes and common house are now being built.
 We