Program Thoughts for the Berkeley Conference
From: Joani Blank (joaniswansway.com)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 01:05:06 -0700 (MST)
The Fifth North American Cohousing Conference (Berkeley, CA, July 20-22) is shaping up nicely. Now that the logistics are settled and Eric Utne of the Utne Reader has agreed to kick off the weekend with a Friday evening public presentation, your Conference Planning Team is digging its teeth into planning the rest of the conference program.

We've brainstormed a long list of possible topics, some of them accompanied by names of people we'd like to invite to lead sessions, and we have heard from a several folks volunteering to present topics. But we are confident that you have session ideas that have not occurred to us. So we are opening this process and inviting you to let us know what would serve you in the way of program topics.

Some folks attending will be enjoying their first exposure to cohousing. Others will be from groups in every stage of development, all the way from a gleam in one person's eye to groups about to move in (finally) to a sparkling new community. Experienced cohousers, including some who have been living in cohousing for all of these first 10 years will also be present.

Everybody attending will be eager to know what works and what doesn't in cohousing, both in making it happen, and in living there/here. In our past conferences we have had a good balance of inspiration and practicality, and we are striving for same this year as well.

So suggest away! Ask a question you'd like to have answered. Propose a topic. Recommend a particular person or a whole panel on that topic. Volunteer to lead/facilitate a session. Think up an unusual way to involve attendees' participation. Please send your ideas and suggestions to me at joani [at] swansway.com, and I will forward them immediately to the other members of the Planning Team. You can also call me @ 510-834-7399 if it is easier for you do this verbally. There is no official deadline for your suggestions, but the program will fill up quickly so we really need to hear from you in the next couple of weeks, or it may be too late.

Joani Blank
Swan's Market Cohousing
Oakland, CA
(If this is the first you've heard about the Conference, click on over to www.cohousing.org for details. Online registration available next week.