Re: Re: affordability
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 19:45:01 -0600 (MDT)
On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Gale Greenleaf greenleaf [at] mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> I replied directly to the questioner, but here's the beef: there's a
> master's thesis at the University of Texas that surveyed a group of Habitat
> for Humanity folks and a work-in-progress coho group in Austin around 1994.

It is listed on the  Publications on Cohousing page (#41)
( http://www.mtn.org/~fholson/coho-lib.htm  )
that I just mentioned in a different message:

AUTHOR: Murnane, Mary K., 1964-
TITLE: Detached desires :
       Austin Habitat for Humanity and the creation of a cohousing
       community /
Thesis (M.S. in C.R.P.)--University of Texas at Austin, 1993.
Includes bibliographical references (leaves 178-182).

> The conclusion seemed to be that for most really low-income folks the idea
> of living in a group, going to meetings, having to make decisions with other
> people, and all the other mechanisms of cohousing were kind of appalling -
> the exact opposite of what they wanted.

My guess is that most Americans of any income reject cohousing ideals.
Cohousing (in its current form with all the difficulties) appeals to a
minority of the population.

I realize you are just summarizing the conclusion as you remember it but I
wonder if a significantly higher percentage of low-income folks than
higher income are not attracted to cohousing.

Fred

Cohousing-L and Nbhd-tc (Twin Cities Neighborhood issues list)
More info:   http://www.mtn.org/~fholson/sig-detail.htm