Re: Design programs
From: Racheli&John (jnpalmeattglobal.net)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:51:01 -0600 (MDT)
** Reply to note from "Becky Weaver" <becky_weaver [at] io.com> Thu, 5 Apr 2001
12:46:40 -0500
>From Racheli Gai
(Sonora Cohousing, Tucson AZ)

Hi Becky,

If I was in your group, I would be advocating like
crazy for as much group involvement as possible.
If you don't have group oversight over what's done
by the architect(s); builder(s), etc. - you might end up
with something which barely resembles what your
group wanted.  Even *with* oversight you'll find
that it's very hard to get most architects to actually
listen to what lay-people tell them, and to incorporate
it into their grand designs.  (I'm not saying there are
no exceptions to this).  Same with builders etc.
In looking for an architect, look for one who knows how
to work with groups.  Seems like the Austin area has a lot
of green-building stuff going on, so maybe you can find
someone who combines the ability to listen and to *collaborate*
with actual knowledge of your local climate, and of how
to build structures which are appropriate for your locale.

If you'd like to know more about our experience (as I view
it), feel free to contact me - by email or by phone.

Good luck,
R.