Re: Design programs
From: Sharon Villines (sharonvillinesprodigy.net)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 14:06:01 -0600 (MDT)
> participation without danger of micromanagement. According to one of our
> architect/committee members, a thoughtfully developed program, followed by
> reasonably free rein, can allow an architect to meet the client's needs very
> creatively. In other words, we decide what, and the archtect decides how.

One very important feature that helped Takoma Village sell out to the 70%
required for the construction loan was NOT having firm architectural
designs. This allowed us to switch a number of two-bedroom duplexes to flats
that were much more popular.

Putting too much money into precise architectural plans too early can make
it very expensive, either because the plans can only be altered at great
expense or you lose people who do not or cannot fit your plans.

Also, the problems will in all probability not be with the architect
(particularly since you have two architects in your group) but with the
subcontractors who we found out are a breed apart. It is impossible to
predict what they will do or forget to do.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
The MacGuffin Guide to Detective Fiction
http://www.macguffin.net