Re: Design programs
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 23:02:02 -0600 (MDT)
In a message dated 4/5/01 2:28:41 PM, becky_weaver [at] io.com writes:

    Programming the activities that are to take place within the Common House
(CH) with the architects was probably the most important step we took.  If
your architects are willing to do this with you, then you can get this step
done by yourselves.   However, what activities you can actually afford to
build for is much more complicated.
    It's difficult to know if you can afford the amount of space you need for
all the activities you want to do until the builder prices it out, and for
that you need rather specific design drawings, with the size of the building
and large design elements, (eg, high ceilings).  Outside architects can
certainly do these drawings, and you can give them a lot of leeway in shaping
and "styling" the building.  But you'll need a price before you can move on
to the next step.
    Once you get that price back, you will likely need to edit, and that
takes community input, because at this point you may find your priorities
shifting.  The builder may have suggestions; these often involves details,
like cheaper woods or a slab floor vs. a full basement.  Some of these
decisions you may be able to let an outside architect make (types of wood),
others you will need to make yourself (basement or not).  Sweat equity and
framing for finishing rooms later will also save money and allow you to build
a larger structure.  These decisions will require input from the builder (how
much you can save) and the members (how much work are we willing to do, and
lets not forget anything we decide to do later will still cost money).
Finally, you may decide to combine activities in some rooms to save money,
but what goes with what?  Very few of these decisions are "micromanagement."
    This is a highly simplified version of the process Pathways went through.
The tweaking and shifting and cut offs and do-laters were some of the hardest
decisions we made, but got us a wonderful, highly usable space that is the
best anticipation of future use in a CH that we could afford.  Plus, design
decisions, including minor details (like which ceiling fan to get) can
actually be fun, not to mention great community building exercises.
    How about developing a list of details you are willing to let go of and
let the architect and builder hash these out budget-wise.   Otherwise, I
suggest you stay involved in the process.  A design committee can do a lot of
the set-up work for group discussions (get your architects on that one!).

    Roger Berman
    Pathways, Cohousing
    Northampton, MA. US

<< We are considering developing a thorough program document as a group,

specifying our priorities, needs, budget, etc., then turning this document

over to the architect and requesting him/her to make decisions about

specifics. There will naturally still be plenty of communication between the

group and the designers, but we are hoping this will allow group

participation without danger of micromanagement. According to one of our

architect/committee members, a thoughtfully developed program, followed by

reasonably free rein, can allow an architect to meet the client's needs very

creatively. In other words, we decide what, and the archtect decides how. >>