Re: Design programs
From: Racheli&John (jnpalmeattglobal.net)
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 09:40:01 -0600 (MDT)
 From Racheli
(Sonora Cohousing, Tucson).

We had a series of programming workshops with Katie and Chuck.
The way these workshops were very useful was that they made
everyone aware of the myriad of issues needing consideration, and
started us on the road to negotiating them.  It also made it clear
that we need to prioritize, and gave us process-tools for doing so.
Another advantage was that they had a wealth of information
concerning physical/social/other aspects of cohousing life elsewhere...

There were some ways in which the workshops were less successful:
The assumption was that by going through them we'll end up with
many fairly finalized consensus decisions.  Yet, Chuck would barely
be out of town when arguments would start over this or that issue.
ie: the status of the decisions made was vague, and a cause of much
friction later on.  IMO the reason is that real consensus decisions
cannot be made in such haste, and under so much pressure.  (And
believe me: when you pay a whole lot for a workshop, there is a lot
of pressure).  Another important reason is that we had no information
concerning cost of many of the items - and this information is
vital for making reasonable decisions.  It took, in fact, a very long time
before any reliable information became available.

There are other issues, but the ones I mentioned above are the primary
ones, in my view.
I think that getting Chuck and Katie (or some other knowledgeable
people) to do these workshops is useful, but I'd re-define their purpose.
As I see it they need to be seen as producing a draft, which needs to
be worked on further as more information comes in.  This would also
allow people who join the group later to be part of the decision-making
process.
Contrary to what someone else suggested, I'm convinced that if we paid
extra money to hire a good local architect to use the programming
as a basis for final design we would have ended with a better product.
For example: It's early April, and many of us have had to turn on
the airconditioning by now, because our south-facing windows don't
have enough of an over-hang, and some of them are too low for any
overhang to work...  (The local architect we had was chosen for being
cheap, not for knowing where the sun happens to be at any given time
of  year :(  ), and architects from elsewhere don't always know the
full reality of a local climate different from theirs'.
Also, a good local architect would be aware of the particularities of
local town/county codes and regulations, and would be available
when there is a need to negotiate/push variants through...

R.