Re: Greater Hartford Cohousing's only viable site..
From: S. Hamer (shamer_excite.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 11:49:02 -0600 (MDT)
I think many cohousing communities want affordabe housing, and therefore
must acquire land that might not be the most prime.

At Cambridge Cohousing we had to look at sites that had something
undesirable about them, because that is all that is left in Cambridge. We
chose a site that was in a transitional neighborhood and on the communter
railroad track. When I say on, I mean that sitting in my living room,t he
train is about 20 feet from me. But it is a communter line and only comes
about 22 times a day, clustered mainly around commuter hours, not overnight,
and only for a bout 8 seconds a shot. The vibrations are hard on the paint
and structure, but no one else's existing house around here has fallen down,
so I suppose our's won't.

Sharon Hamer
Cambridge Cohousing
Cambridge, Massachusetts
shamer_ [at] excite.com

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001 13:03:51 -0400, cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org wrote:

>  Hello--
>
>  I had a questions for those of you living in cohousing right now.  Do you
have regrets about the site you chose?  Do you feel your group had to make
sacrifices and let go of that perfect land ideal?  And, if you did made do
with the site you had, are you glad you did? Or were you unable to "sell the
site" to others.

>  Our group's only viable piece of land at the moment is a 40 acre parcel
of lightly-wooded farmland, abutting a high school in the small Connecticut
town of East Granby.  The problem is that the site is about 1/2 a mile from
a gun club (some people are nervous about that although it seems well
regulated) and the site is close to Bradley International Airport, here in
Connecticut.  While planes do not fly over our land, you definitely hear
them around and occasionally see one low on the horizon.  The pizza joint in
town is called the Landing Zone Pizza House!