Re: Add your URL and email / Outlook workaround
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:32:01 -0600 (MDT)
On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Elizabeth Stevenson tamgoddess [at] home.com wrote:

> Sharon, your signature is a good idea. Since the new list doesn't give our
> email addresses to reply to, we should all amend our signatures to include
> our email addresses, so we can reply to a person off list if we want to,
> without cutting and pasting. We can also add the url of our community, and
> it will put more information out there.
> --
> Liz Stevenson
> Southside Park Cohousing
> Sacramento, California
>
> tamgoddess [at] home.com

While I agree with Liz that it is desireable to "sign" email addresses
with an address, there is a workaround the Outlook problem.  Below is
an explanation.

Fred

Cohousing-L and Nbhd-tc (Twin Cities Neighborhood issues list)
More info:   http://www.mtn.org/~fholson/sig-detail.htm

The Reply-to problem on the new (3/2001) Cohousing-L

Cohousing-L is now configured to have replies go to the list by default.
This is quite common on mailing lists and encourages follow-up discussion.
However, it does make it cumbersome to reply to the author from some email
programs - particularly from Microsoft Outlook Express.

This is a problem with Microsoft Outlook Express mailer. (A bug or a
"feature" depending on your point of view. I (Fred Olson) am not too
familiar with Outlook Express, but in version 5.0 "reply all" does not
really reply to all...

An Outlook Express workaround:
(A workaround is way of doing what you want despite a bug etc.)

Have Outlook Express configured so replies quote the original message
(Click on: Tools/Options/Send/Include Message in reply/OK)
This puts the sender's email address in the header of the quote.
(See example of quote below)

To reply to an author of cohousing-L message:
1) Select message
2) Click Reply
3) Highlight the From: address in the quote
4) Copy the address (Control-C)
5) Click on the To: address such that it gets highlighted
6) Paste author's address with Control-V (replacing original address)
7) If "replacing original address" did not work , edit...

Delete any portion of the quote that is not needed for context for your
reply.

Example: