Re: common house meals /[Mandatory cooking cautionary note]
From: Peter Scott (psak.planet.gen.nz)
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:55:02 -0600 (MDT)
Re: Winslow's cooking scheme...

> The way it works here is that you determine how many nights/week you plan
> to eat a common meal in a 7 week cycle. Depending on how many people opt
> in, and how often they plan to eat, a schedule is created. ... We eat
> twice/week which gives my husband and I each 4 work shifts in that 7 week
> period ..Some people always want to cook, some people never do - that's okay,
> because they do cleanup.....

So while food preparing is not mandatory, it is mandatory if you want to eat?
This gets around the little red hen syndrome i suppose, even if it doesnt
'enshrine' a meal culture per se. A good compromise maybe. Being a
structure-loving person, I rather like the mandatory flavour, although also like
the idea of being able to chose a job within that structure, as you have done
with the cooking/cleanup.

Your system would mean meals on different nights, per cycle or even week?
I guess creatures of habit like myself would have to dairy more of our lives...

Do you still sign up for meals (to eat) on a per meal basis?
The piece of the common meals thing that has always bothered me is having to
sign
up in advance for meals, like do i sign up for meals at home! But im sure i
could
commit to a certain number of meals each seven weeks, if i could choose which
ones i actually turned up to later.
Does anyone have a law of averages type approach (maybe based on meal money
comitted each cycle as above) that avoids advance sign up for each and every
meal?

We are about 8 weeks away from first move ins. Thus far our "common meals" at
weekly meetings are based on 3 rostered cooks and no sign ups to eat  required.
The low frequency and highish attendence due to the importance of agendad
decisions usually ensures quantities are easy to estimate. Costs are covered  by
a $2 donation.

Regards,

Peter Scott
Auckland New Zealand