Re: Common Meals
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddesshome.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:16:01 -0600 (MDT)
This is in reply to Robert's and Sharon's posts.

Our meal costs are lower. Older than sixteen, and it's 2 bucks, under, it's
1, and under 4 don't pay at all. We still end up making money. My guess is
the expensive meals are organic, or have fancier food. Or maybe it's just
that we live in the Central Valley of California and food is plentiful,
cheap and fresh.

As to required cooking, Sharon, I think your analogy is deliberately
overstated. We require cooking, and we require other work, too. They are not
related in our work system. "Require" isn't like it's written into the
CC&Rs, though. Things are flexible. One person likes cooking so much, she
does it as her work requirement as well, cooking for weekend work parties
once or twice a month. Others do a bare minimum of cooking and like to buy
pre-fab meals they mostly just heat up. Lasagna bought at the warehouse
store is great for that.

I don't understand all this concern about resentment. How can something
everyone has to do be unfair?? I would think there'd be alot more resentment
if only some people cooked!

I think the idea of people cooking if they want to eat is very fair. But if
you have someone putting in horrible numbers of hours on bookkeeping, and
they resent it, why not make it more flexible and let them eat without
cooking? I don't see that as a reason to throw out mandatory cooking at all.
Just keep things flexible for special cases. BTW, our bookkeeper cooks great
meals, and doesn't mind.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing