RE: Supporting Facilitators
From: Becky Schaller (bschallertheriver.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:01:09 -0600 (MDT)
Eileen, thanks for your idea and response.  I'm simply interested in knowing
what other groups have done to support facilitators and how it's worked.
We've been looking at this for a long time. We've had two people from out of
state come and do two differernt workshops for us in the past few years. I
thought they were both quite helpful, but we really didn't do much follow
up.   Somehow we seem to need a bridge between hearing ideas and being able
to apply them in meetings.   We've tried having the group give feedback to
the facilitator a little.  I don't think that's worked very well.  I think
giving good feedback to the facilitator is a fairly sophisticated skill and
we haven't set that up very well.  I think it could be done, but we just
haven't done it. The process committee has also offered to assist anyone who
facilitates in their planning.  I don't think that's worked very well
either.  Some have talked about having a group reading a book about
facilitating and discussing it together, but we've never done that.  Lots of
other ideas have been tossed around, but I don't think of them right now.

I've heard Rob talk about a group they have at Sharingwood. But other than
that, I've heard very little talk about how groups support facilitators.
I'm interested in knowing what others have done, what worked and what didn't
work.

Eileen, how are the workshops working for your group?

Becky Schaller
Sonora Cohousing
Tucson, Arizona