RE: Details on Resentment issues in mandatory cooking
From: Racheli&John (jnpalmeattglobal.net)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:47:01 -0600 (MDT)
** Reply to note from "Rob Sandelin" <floriferous [at] msn.com> Thu, 19 Apr
2001 01:35:01 -0700
>From Racheli

Hi Rob,
You wrote (in part):

> I think your idea of eating circles is cool...

Well, since my last posting I found a flow in it:  We have
one member who works all the time - much of it community
work, and he told me he has not joined any of the circles
because he doesn't have time to cook.  I immediately felt
(and told) him that IMO he should, of course, be allowed
to come without having to cook... (a seeming contradiction
to what I had said before).
This alerted me to the fact that when I talk about wanting
everyone to cook, I'm making an assumption that by and
large those who might try to get out of it do it in
order to get out of doing work (yes, I do think that the world
has quite a few lazy people in it, and some of them happen
to live in intentional communities).  On the other hand, I don't
have any problem with giving a break to someone who
works his butt off elsewhere for the benefit of us all.

As to your suggestion of converting the unpleasant work into a
"party", it reminded me of the description in "The Continuum
Concept" (by Jean Leidlof (sp?) of the way the Indian tribe
she had spent time with approached large work projects, such as
building houses:  It *was* a party, with eating and drinking,
(I don't think they cared whether the walls turned out
straight :)), and fun was had by all.

R.