Re: Group Size Units to Adult Ratios
From: Sharon Villines (sharonvillinesprodigy.net)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:13:05 -0600 (MDT)
> I am concerned about what this says about the cohousing's attraction to
> families. Were the four bedroom homes the single members' first choice for
> housing, or were the units purchased by childless singles because families
> were not interested and/or involved at the time that the units were available?

The large units were the last to sell. Some single people did choose larger
units early on and certainly the most popular unit was the 2 bedroom. Our
two bedroom units are not large - mine is 850 sq. ft. The townhouses also
have small rooms. They aren't as large as most individual houses are though
some do have basements.

Some of the basements were an "accident". We had to remove so much
contaminated soil that it was less expensive to build basements than refill
the holes.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org