Re: public vs private
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:30:01 -0600 (MDT)
- What do you do about access by neighbors?
- Has it been beneficial?
- Do you encourage or discourage it?
- Have you had any problems?
- Have you put up signs?
- How were they worded?
- What has worked for you?

RoseWind has pedestrian paths which are legally and officially public
access (it was part of our deal with the City when we were asking to
"vacate" a lot of street rights-of-way), and grassy fields and more local
paths which are not officially public.

We get regular use by bicyclists, and pedestrian safety is a concern for
some. The major hill where a speeding cyclist could injure someone has a
sign at the top of it, something like
Please Walk Your Bike, for the safety of pedestrians. This does not seem
to affect speeding children on bikes. We are now looking at rearranging
that part of the path to include more curves, making it physically more
necessary to slow down.

The other area of concern has been dog poo. We have a scoop rule for our
own pets. Have posted signs by the paths indicating scooping
expectations. Still have loose dogs roaming the property at times, but
not too bad.

All in all, we live pretty well with the use we get.

I'd like to see a notice board out there with some information on the
community, resale opportunities, etc, but we haven't gotten to it. Seems
another way to get the word out. Otherwise sometimes I just walk up to
people and say "welcome to RoseWind" which often leads to some questions
and information exchange.

We have put a sign at our common house door which says something like
Please visit in the presence of a member, or call xxx to arrange to
visit. Got tired of LookieLous just wandering in!

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.olypen.com/sstowell/rosewind
http://www.ptguide.com