RE: proxies
From: Rowenahc (rowenahccs.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 17:32:01 -0600 (MDT)
At CambridgeCoho we allow proxies but only for a specific item and for a
limited period of time, not a general "this person speaks for me for all
purposes."   In practice, the only time anyone thinks to arrange for a proxy
is for such times as the annual meeting when we really do need a formal
quorum count and consensus for budget approval.  At one time we had a "rule"
that an important issue could not be decided at the first meeting at which
it was raised. Of course, we used to have a lot of general meetings in those
days.  Now we only have general meetings once a month and keeping to that
rule is sometimes impractical.  However, at this point (after 3 years) most
people do trust others to do their best for the community and we make a
point of publicizing major proposals in every media  (email, committee
meetings, copy on decision board, copies in mail boxes, even special
displays on easels in the entry way) so that differences have usually been
hammmered out and consensus reached on serious issues long before formal
approval is sought and the actual count tends to be something of a
formality. If we don't have a quorum we ask for a "sense of the meeting" for
things that don't involve real money and go with that - maybe adding a time
limit, e.g. let's try it for six months and see how it goes.

Rowena
Cambridge Cohousing