Re: Private? Public? or something in between?
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 22:12:01 -0600 (MDT)
If you haven't already, I'd suggest you find a good architect or landscape
architect who can design an entryway/transition zone that will achieve some
of your goals.  For example, an unlocked gate or low entryway will force
people to get off their bikes.  Placing poles or some other semi-permeable
barrier in the middle of the path, or curves, or rough pavement, or some
combination will slow them down.

A big sign explaining what the common house is may satisfy some folks
curiousity.  And I don't see the problem with putting a "Please respect our
privacy- members and invited guests only" sign on the door of the common
house.  Some people need your desire for privacy SPELLED OUT IN BIG LETTERS
for them to get it.  Others never will.  Being out in the woods, we don't
have a big problem at Pathways, but occasionally some "Lookie Lous" (we use
that expression, too) still drive up, move the "No vehicles" sign off the
entrance to the paths and drive through.  Oh well.  Probably the same people
that empty out their ashtrays on pubic parking lots.

Good luck!

    Roger Berman
    Pathways
    Northampton, MA