RE: Private? Public? or something in between?
From: Lashbrook, Stephan (lashbrookci.wilsonville.or.us)
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:00:02 -0600 (MDT)
Good points, Rob.

I am reminded of my visits to Village Homes in Davis, California (not a
cohousing development, but still an important model for a number of
reasons).  When you walk through Village Homes, you will be greeted by
residents who ask -- politely, from my experience -- who you are and why you
are there.

It serves two purposes:  security for Village Homes and communication with
people from outside the neighborhood.  It made me want to live there, or
somewhere else where the residents felt so much pride and protectiveness
toward their neighborhood.  And it works without gates.

Stephan