Issues around Children in community
From: Racheli&John (jnpalmeattglobal.net)
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:23:02 -0600 (MDT)
** Reply to note from "Rob Sandelin" <floriferous [at] msn.com> Tue, 5 Jun 2001
08:56:51 -0700
>From Racheli

Rob's email "following agreements" came in
just as I was about to post  regarding
children issues (or: adult issues around children).

We seem to have some really polarized segments
in the community around various issues to do with
children.  Some people without children view
many of the parents as not doing a good job in
supervising their kids (so the kids damage community
stuff, or leave messes, or misplace things belonging
to other people, etc.)
Some of the bad feelings express themselves around
questions of what to spend money on:  We are considering
now the question of what children outdoor play equiptment
to get.  A few of the childless people think too much
money has already been spent on children: A children
room, a teen room (which isn't actually all devoted
to the teens), etc.
On the other side you have some of the parents who
feel that the opposition is truly "anti-children".
How to bring these people together?

I know this type of conflict isn't unique to my community...
Any enlightening stories/suggestions will be highly appreciated.

And while I'm at it, if anyone has recommendations or
general ideas regarding play structures which have
proved physically durable and of enduring interest
for children - please tell me about this too.

Many thanks,
R.