Re: Ethernet and intra-networking for cohousing
From: Raines Cohen (raines-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 16:16:01 -0600 (MDT)
"Alex G" <striker222 [at] hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thats the stand I like to take, but the more I think about it, the more it
>may be classified as "redistribution" which isn't legal

Read your service agreement for what is permitted ("legal" isn't the
right term for civil issues) under your terms of service. Many cable
modem service providers explicitly disallow connection sharing, but DSL
contracts might not do so. They provide service to me and I provide
service to my neighbors. If they don't want to provide me with the
service, they don't have to offer it. We're not reselling, just pooling
our use.

Remember, the Internet is whatever you define it as... just a bunch of
computers. So as far as we're concerned, we're connecting THEM (our ISP)
to OUR net resources... hmmm, maybe we should be charging them for it! ;-)

Raines

Raines Cohen <coho-L [at] raines.com> <http://www.swansway.com/>
Where we just added a new picture to our website.

  Vice President, Swan's Market Cohousing [Old Oakland, CA]
Concerned about 31 diagonal parking spaces going in across the street,
but glad to see the (one-way) street slimmed to one lane for traffic
calming.

  Member, East Bay Cohousing [no site yet] <http://www.ebcoho.org/>
Looking to recruit at the Cohousing Company slide show next week.

  Boardmember, The Cohousing Network <http://www.cohousing.org/>
Reminding all groups of sponsorship options for the
North American Cohousing Conference, July 20-22, Berkeley, CA.