Re: meetings
From: Ken Collerman (kcollermwindsong.bc.ca)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 13:05:02 -0600 (MDT)
We have the same problem at Windsong Cohousing (i.e. poor attendance).  Out
of about 60 adults we typically get between 15 and 30 showing up for
community meetings.  Often it's the same people showing up.

This would not be a serious problem if those who did not show up followed
the agreements made by those who did.  However, they often don't. For
example, we made an agreement about pets which was not followed by one of
the pet owners who did not show up for the related meeting. This resulted in
an altercation between them and others in the community when the policy was
not followed. The minutes of the meeting and the policy were posted in the
common house as well as in digital form on our intranet (i.e. a few clicks
away).

We also have a problem with maintenance via community contribution.  Some of
the work is not getting done.  Furthermore the  members that show up to
community meetings are often the same ones that contribute to maintenance.
There are some members who simply do not participate in the community.

There are many reasons why a member would not participate:

1) they are too busy with friends and family outside of the community
2) they are intimidated by meetings (i.e. prefer to have time to think
things over rather than be put on the spot)
3) they are too busy just surviving (ex. commuting to and from work and
working long hours).
4) they bought into a vision of community which just didn't fit reality
5) they don't like giving up their autonomy.

The location of our community has contributed to reason 1 and 3. Moving out
to Windsong was a financial hardship for many.  The prices of housing in the
Vancouver area are high.  Also, to make Windsong affordable, it was located
far from where most people work, so there are a lot of long commutes. Some
members have reduced the commute by being self-employed and working from
home which resulted in longer hours of work.

Some members of our community would rather discuss issues via email or
threaded discussions than in large face-to-face meetings either because of
the difficulty in fitting them into their schedule or due to their feeling
intimidated in large meetings (reason 2).

For most of us, moving to Windsong meant giving up some autonomy.  We had to
learn how to live in community.  It wasn't something we were brought up
with. I believe community life has been superior to what we had before.
However, we do have our challenges.

Ken Collerman
Windsong Cohousing
Langley, BC