Re: meetings
From: Matt Lawrence (matttechnoronin.com)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 14:12:02 -0600 (MDT)
On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Ken Collerman wrote:

> Some members of our community would rather discuss issues via email or
> threaded discussions than in large face-to-face meetings either because of
> the difficulty in fitting them into their schedule or due to their feeling
> intimidated in large meetings (reason 2).

I'm having difficulty with a group currently because they don't seem to be
interested in discussing things online and instead want to get everything
done in a two hour meeting every couple of weeks.  Personally, I am much
more comfortable discussing things online where I have time to think about
issues, do some of my own research, and write a (hopefully) concise
response.  In addition, my new job requires me to travel so much that I'm
also in the position of having to accept decisions made by others with no
opportunity to review the proposals and comment on them.  This is not
acceptable to me and I am seriously considering leaving the group.  I'm
waiting to see if they will work through this and other communication
issues.

Email isn't a replacement for face to face meetings, but it can certainly
augment them.

-- Matt