Re: "have kids" "have nots" fighting over site
From: Brian Baresch (bareschearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 23:33:02 -0600 (MDT)
>I'm surprised the singles are so ignorant of the fact that school quality
>is
>so important. Ask a realtor and s/he will tell you that it's one of the
>biggest determinants of house value. It would be penny wise and pound
>foolish to build where the schools are bad.

I don't have kids, but I agree. We didn't move on our site (we're planning
to close this month) until we had verified that the kids would go to a
"good" elementary school (there are a few bad ones in this district). The
childless members at the time had agreed that good schools were a high
priority.

We established that priority, and others, by consensus, before we even
started looking for a site. Once we did that, we visited each potential
site with checklist in hand. Went fairly smoothly.

>It feels like maybe you have the cart before the horse and need to have
>some
>soul searching meetings before you continue to spend money looking for a
>site that you can't agree to buy.

Agreed. It sounds as if the Canton/Hartford group hasn't worked out what it
wants -- the members each know, but there's no consensus.

Brian Baresch baresch [at] earthlink.net
Delaware Street Commons
Lawrence, Kansas
www.delaware-street.com