RE: Households Sponsoring Outside Groups in the Commonhouse
From: Rowenahc (rowenahccs.com)
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 15:19:01 -0600 (MDT)
The Southside system sounds very much like what happens at
CambridgeCohousing.  We have 41 households and so far there haven't been any
serious conflicts, although there are often several events a week.  It is
preferred that private events be limited to the kitchen and dining room - we
don't exclude residents from the living room.  Community events come first,
although the cooks try to be a bit flexible if there is, say, a party for 15
six year olds scheduled for a Saturday afternoon, and a common meal for the
evening.  A lot of events are such things as recitals, concerts or poetry
readings involving a resident to which all residents are invited.  We also
have a fair number of events for "private" organizations of which only one
of our residents is a member, but we don't rent the place out for the
reasons Elizabeth mentioned.  We did have a painting class in our recreation
room last year for which the participating residents paid a teacher and we
have talked about getting a Yoga class started on the same basis.   People
scheduling events are responsible for cleanup and for replacing community
supplies if they are used.

Rowenahc