Re: use of common house for non-coho events
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 18:21:01 -0600 (MDT)
At RoseWind Cohousing we have a 12-year-old group, but have only had our
common house done for a couple of months. We've immediately had a LOT of
interest in using it for events and meetings of various sorts. Here is
our initial approach, which so far has been working.

1) Outright rental to groups that we are not part of: ie weddings,
workshops, catering businesses, etc. We are not ready to do this at all,
yet. We have some information that our nonprofit status may preclude
renting to any for-profit enterprise, like a professional caterer. We
know this is true for a 501c3, but still need to find out if it applies
to us, a mutual-benefit nonprofit corporation. We also don't yet know
what the insurance and liability implications are. Most importantly, we
want to first find out how we can make maximum, optimal, use of the
facility to build our own community ties and serve the needs of our
members. So we are waiting on this.

2) "Sponsored events." A member may reserve the facility for something
they are part of. My bicycle club, political organization, book
discussion, which is not primarily a RoseWind event. Maybe not a RW event
at all. For some sort of business, planning, discussion, etc. The
sponsoring member must be physically present and must sign a fairly
detailed agreement ahead of time, taking full responsibility, including
legal and financial responsibility, for any consequences of the
gathering. Plus clean-up of course. A suggested minimum donation of $1
per participant is requested.

3) Personal social events. Again, not RoseWind events, but an
individual's party, celebration, or other social gathering. As above, the
sponsor signs the responsibility form. Minimum donation of $10 is
requested.

4) Personal use: we had a member use the kitchen all day one day to cook
for a friend's wedding, as his personal contribution to the wedding. We
just let him do it. There will probably be some other requests we haven't
thought about. Will a person want to have their babysitter use it to take
care of their kid(s)? Will someone want to do a big sewing or crafts
project there? We'll see!

Notes:
Our Common House Operations team oversees this. A large calendar on the
CH bulletin board records coming events and space reservations. Forms are
available, and filed, in a looseleaf notebook kept in the CH.

Generally speaking, events cannot be scheduled during any of the usual
times we have meals, meetings, discussion circles or such. That currently
includes three evenings a week.
In the remaining times, RW events have priority.

No use is "exclusive": members may always at least pass through on
errands. So no gatherings where total confidentiality or non-interruption
is essential.

We haven't put a quota, since we haven't yet seen any conflicts or
shortage.

We opened a "Club" checking account, in which to keep the miscellaneous
funds from event donations, any surplus from group meal fees, or
donations. From this we can fund small purchases for the kitchen, for
example, which are not part of the basic operations budget which is
funded by our annual assessments.

We are 24 households, of which 16 are currently living on the site, and
18 households are using the common house (some members are in the process
of moving in or out, or live out of town still).

If anyone wants a copy of the actual sponsor contract, or a couple of
pages of general rules and guidelines on common house use, email me off
line and I'll be glad to send them to you.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.olypen.com/sstowell/rosewind
http://www.ptguide.com