Re: Following agreements
From: pattymara (pattymarajuno.com)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:41:03 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:58:01 -0700 "Eileen McCourt"
<emccourt [at] mindspring.com> writes:
> Patty, I'm sure you are right about the attendance after move-in.
> But with
> the agenda you describe below, my question is why are most of these
> decisions part of a business meeting at all?

At Tierra Nueva, our policy is that a committee can spend up to $100 of
it's budgeted money without group input.  Anything higher goes to the
group.  The orchard and landscape committee had the money in its budgets
for the chipper, but it was originally earmarked for something else, so
they brought it to the group for approval.

>I hope we will have a landscape or environmental committee with a budget
to decide if we need a
> chipper, and an architectural committee to decide what kinds and how
many signs we want, and so forth.  Use of the common house seems like a
community issue, but the other stuff seems administrative.

The reason the sign issue came up at the meeting was to garner group
approval and therefore support for the suggested change, instead of it
coming from the "top" down as a decree.  Yeah, it seems petty, but the
discussion was helpful in that it got everyone on board to try out the
new idea.

>Maybe it's a
> reflection of
> how calm things are at Tierra Nueva that you take decisions of this
> level to
> the entire group.

I think that's true.  It's kind of a relief compared to the rigors of
construction, marketing and move-in.  There are always personality
issues, however, which come up regularly.  The hard work of
relationships.  Life-long.

Patty Mara Gourley
Tierra Nueva, cen. CA coast

mmmm.