Sharing Circles
From: Becky Schaller (bschallertheriver.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:05:03 -0600 (MDT)
I'd like to know what kinds of experiences other communities have had with
sharing circles.  We seem to be having some problems getting very far off
the ground with them.  At a recent general meeting, we agreed to have them
about one Sunday a month.  Since  that time we've had one which I thought
went well even if it was a bit short.  It was on children's issues.   We had
at least one before we made the decision to have them monthly.  It was on
work participation issues.  I thought that went well also.  I am writing
because I think there is some resistance to sharing circles.  I won't go
into the details of what that resistance looks like, but unless there is
someone focused on these happening; various someones find reasons not to
have the sharing circles.  Attendance at both sharing circles was relatively
low, (10 and 12 people) which was discouraging for some. I thought it was a
decent beginning, but that discouragement certainly affects morale.  My
thought is that if we just continue to have them, people will learn that
these circles can feel satisfying and perhaps people will look forward to
coming.  I don't see anyone trying to sabatage these circles.

So I'm curious as to what kinds of experiences other communities have had
with sharing circles.   Has it been easy or difficult?   Was it hard to get
started?

Does the community as a whole decide what the topic will be?  If so, how is
the decision made?  Within a general meeting or another way?   Or do
individuals within the community post a topic and date and then welcome who
ever shows up?  Or do you do something else?

I appreciate any insights you can give me.

Thanks,
Becky Schaller
Sonora Cohousing
Tucson, Arizona