Re: Sharing Circles, and Discussion Circles
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 13:26:02 -0600 (MDT)
At RoseWind Cohousing in Port Townsend Washington we use a set of meeting
types first described to us by Rob Sandelin of Sharingwood, and evolved a
bit among ourselves. (We have 24 households, most of whom live on site.)

We have a "business" meeting once a month. Since we get the closest to
full attendance at these meetings, we have noted that they are also good
opportunities for community-building exercises, brainstorming and other
non-business uses of time. For a while, if there was no Business, the
meeting was cancelled, but people objected, and now we have decided to
call these not "business" meetings, but monthly meetings, for business
AND other stuff.

Discussion Circles are usually tools for gathering input from the
community about a specific issue. Often they are initiated by a committee
or task force, to try out an idea, to learn what other input or concerns
exist, and take it back to committee for more refinement, prior to
bringing it up as a business item for decision. The advantage is getting
to proposals which have a better chance of passing when they are on the
business agenda, and letting those who are interested in an issue hash it
out and sparing others from having to sit through it! Discussion Circles
don't make decisions, though sometimes a near-consensus emerges from
those present. We WANT to still allow discussion at the whole-group
meetings, and sometimes have to struggle with the impatience of members
who feel "Why are you asking this now, when you didn't come to the
discussion circle?" Attendance at discussion circles varies with the
topic, typically about 12, but running from 6-20. They always feel
productive to me. Usually a proposal or description of the subject is
circulated via email ahead of time, so those who can't attend, or don't
want to, can choose to give input by email or in person to someone
involved.
Discussion Circles are on one of our meal nights, after the meal. Usually
about 4 a month.

Sharing Circles are less frequent, but have been well attended. These are
about feelings and personal matters, with no intention of coming up with
"useful" conclusions, per se, but with the goal of knowing each other
better. They can be called by anyone, with a specified topic. A
surprising success was a three-part series a couple of people initiated,
about health concerns, old age and dying, and legal planning for old age
and death. I was able to go to the first one, and it was very useful to
learn so much that people volunteered about their physical and mental
health, and what sort of understanding or support they would appreciate
from others. Quite a bit of information was shared, also, between those
with a medical condition and others in the group who had some experience,
or from a couple of medical professionals in the group. Given the rather
intimate potential of this, it was surprising to me how much people
shared, when given an opportunity to do so. And realizing that many of us
would be living here, among each other, eventually through disabilities
and terminal illnesses, was a rather different perspective than we have
day-to-day. I heard that the other sessions were also well attended. Now
I see that someone has called a Sharing Circle about "Work at RoseWind."

I doubt if we'd currently have much participation in a regularly
scheduled circle that wasn't topic driven. Oh, we also have had a yearly
"retreat" where we devote a weekend to a variety of activities, some of
which are non-business items such as games and skits.

Lynn Nadeau

PS- I get the list in digest mode and people are being really careless
about including great huge chunks of what they are responding to!
Puhleeze clip just the bits you need...

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.olypen.com/sstowell/rosewind
http://www.ptguide.com