Re: Meals and Dietary Preferences & Requirements
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddesshome.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 09:28:01 -0600 (MDT)
----------
> Just curious - is it your experience that the adults experiment more with
> different types of food, too?  Do the meat eaters try the vegetarian/vegan
> food and enjoy it?

Very much so. Most of us "meatatarians" are already more
vegetarian-food-friendly than the general population. Often, we will make
nearly equal amounts of meat and veggie versions, even though strict
vegetarians are much fewer in number than meat-eaters. It goes the other
way, too. Living here for 8 years, several people have switched sides from
meat to vegetarian or vice versa, some more than once. Many have come to
realize they are allergic to one thing or another while they lived here. It
is a changing landscape.

Another thing that helps to simplify is to make one version suit more than
one dietary need. For instance, the vegetarian version is also vegan, or
wheat free or whatever.

Having a repertoire is so helpful for this. I want to stress that for the
most part, we have excellent meals, not watered down meat dishes. Many in
our community have extensive and adventurous cooking skills, so we may be
luckier than most. But practice does count when you're learning to cook for
a crowd.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing